JimsWinterBlog

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Saint Patty's Day



Kevin wanted me to try an artsy photo today, so here is one I think captures some interesting contrasts, between the swooping steel lines of the chair cable on Challenger, with the sideways swooping lines of skiers on the sunlit slopes below. Let me know what you think.

I had nary a bit of green to wear today, but with the early morning weather report from Big Sky, I was wearing a smile, and I know a couple people were green with envy! For it had snowed '6 - 8 inches' overnight. I knew this likely meant more, at least up high. And sure enough, it was more like 8 - 12, with places flowing over the knees. The snow was unusual - it was soft, relatively light, but also dense (is that possible?) such that you bounced in it very easily. Slight up and down motions translated into gyrations like you were on one of those huge Pilates balls! Except you were careening down 30 - 40 degree pitches, spraying snow, and grinning ear to ear. After each of about 4 of these runs in the morning, I found myself just giggling uncontrollably! For those in the Big Sky know, I was the first down the part of the bowl under the chair. Silly locals were waiting in the tram line (which didn't take anyone for over an hour according to one). Second run was 'Never Sweat', a secret trail we always love doing - surprisingly 3 skiers beat me to it, leaving only a few acres to myself. I decided to head for Challenger, skiing BRTs (deep fluff, as always, with untracked below), Moonlight to Bad Dog (heaps of soft snow), and Country Club to Mr. K. Finally, I danced Blue Room before an early lunch.

Wesley and I spent the afternoon exploring more runs in the bowl, challenger, and then several glade runs off Andesite, managing to find powder to the end. Things were beginning to set up out in the open toward the end of the day.

I'm looking to the next few days of weather with a bit of trepidation. Not sure what we're in store for. I only hope it is good, because Ann arrives tonight, and I know she's in need of a vacation.

Blue Moon pizza tonight. I may have to buy new ski pants at last - mine have started splitting at the crotch. Of course, I could duct tape them! Cheers to all.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Dang! Another one of THOSE days at Big Sky! What a way to celebrate our Irish heritage.

I do like the photo - thanks for the effort. Keep it up...

That weather is bizarre, isn't it? I hope it doesn't get too warm this week and you don't see any of the 'R' word. I just realized that skiers have an aversion to using that word in much the same way that characters in 'Harry Potter' fear saying Voldemort ("He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named").

I just noticed that Big Sky is reporting 7" in the past 48 hours even though I know that's not true. I just don't get it...

Find some freshies today...

Kevin

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Today was a bluebird day! Go figure. Skied Marx this morning and it was nice windpacked; easy to ski.

Skied this afternoon with Ann - she did 3 runs off the LPT - I was proud of her! Then we skied groomers off Andesite, had coffee at Pinnacle, and basically enjoyed the sun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home